CONTENT: What do you see?
FORM: The details (what you see more exactly). How the artist delivers the content.
CONTEXT: Everything NOT observable.
FUNCTION: The intended purpose of the work.
APAH 250 Images:
116. The Saint-Lazare Station, Claude Monet
* Impression, Sunrise, Water Lilies series (Hay Stacks)
* Degas – ballerinas/bathers
* Renoir – Le Moulin de la Galette, Luncheon of the Boating Party
121. The Coiffure, Mary Cassatt
120. The Starry Night, Vincent Van Gogh
123. Where Do We Come From? What are we? Where are we going?, Paul Gauguin
125. Mont Saint-Victoire, Paul Cezane
*Please note there are A LOT of important artworks for this time period of the later 19th century. Obviously, we can't look at every artwork from every artist and many artists have several iconic/important works that move the art world into the next "-ism." I HIGHLY suggest not only watching and reading about artworks that are specific content area requirements for this class, but also for others as well. Spend the night looking at multiple van Gogh paintings, works by Monet, Cassatt, Gauguin, and Cezanne.